Brierley Hill was an Urban District in Staffordshire with a population numbering 12,263 in the 1911 census. The Memorial was based on a design by Councillor J T Fereday and filled out by Francis Lane, a local preacher and industrialist. It was unveiled on the 12th November 1921 in its striking location near St. Michael’s church, overlooking the view to the Clent Hills. The sculpture was carried out by George Brown and Sons of Kidderminster and the Memorial consists of a square column on a stepped base with the names of 203 men on three faces.
The fourth face has the inscription:
IN GRATITUDE & ADMIRATION THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED
BY THEIR FELLOW TOWN FOLK TO THE MEMORY OF BRIERLEY HILL MEN
WHO LOYALLY GAVE THEIR LIVES IN DEFENCE OF COUNTRY AND CIVILISATION
AGAINST THE AGGRESSIVE AMBITIONS OF GERMANY AUSTRIA & TURKEY
IN THE GREAT WAR WHICH LASTED FROM
AUGUST 4TH 1914 TO NOVEMBER 11TH 1918.
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
At the top of the four faces are the bold inscriptions:
FOR FREEDOM, FOR HOMELAND, FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS, FOR KINDRED
At the bottom of each face are inscribed the main campaigns:
FRANCE, FLANDERS, GALLIPOLI, PALESTINE.
At the top of the column are four scenes illustrating the artillery, the medical services, infantry going into action and rescue at sea. On the summit is a soldier in uniform, looking over Worcestershire. He is equipped with rifle and bayonet and is a representation of Stanley Harley, the first Brierley Hill man to be awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal.